The A. Fantis Mission
“Promote academic excellence and strength of character in a nurturing environment grounded in Hellenic culture and Christian values that cultivates scholars who will mature into responsible citizens and real-world problem solvers.”
The A. Fantis Parochial School of Sts. Constantine and Helen Cathedral is a Greek Orthodox Elementary and Middle School in Brooklyn, New York educating and nurturing children from pre-school through 8th grade.
Established in 1963 by a group of dedicated Greek immigrants, A. Fantis continues to offer an education rooted in Hellenic culture and Christian teachings. It provides students with an excellent education, paving the way for a smooth transition into high school.
Our school’s accomplished educational program attracts families interested in small, student-centered classes within a strong academic and cultural environment.
A. Fantis Parochial School has students from Brooklyn, Manhattan, and beyond. Whilst many of our students speak Greek and English within the home environment, we currently also have students who are speakers, amongst other languages, of Finnish, French, Italian and Spanish. The school is welcoming of every student, and the student body is as racially, economically, and culturally diverse as New York City itself.
In the spring of 1913, a small group of Greek immigrants decided to organize the first Greek Orthodox Community in Brooklyn. On April 16, 1916, the cornerstone of the Saint Constantine Church on Schermerhorn Street in Brooklyn Heights was laid.
In 1922, the growing Saint Constantine community purchased a building on State Street. This building was used to provide an afternoon school for its youth and a Community Center for its many functions.
The parishioners had a goal to provide the best possible education for their children. A new campaign to collect funds for a day school started and, with generous donations, the doors of the brand new school opened in the fall of 1963.
Named after its primary benefactor, Argyrios Fantis, for 40 years A. Fantis Parochial School of Sts. Constantine and Helen Cathedral educated children exclusively from an Orthodox Christian background. Since 2005, however, the school now warmly welcomes children baptized in all Christian traditions into its school community.